Wednesday 23 May 2012

Decor Oriental - Rustic meets Refinement



Do you in love with the mystic of Oriental decor and Indian opulence all put together?
Well, I do.  I crave for an Asian-Oriental contemporary space filled with lots of vibrant colours, bold textures and green corners. The free flowing organic style, easy and Eco-friendly decor, open space living and refined simplicity always attract me.
Now, let me welcome you to our humble 'Eclectic Home' .








If you are looking for a picture perfect house, straight out of a magazine page..sorry..mine is not. 
This is a little 'whimsy'  nest, a compact nook for our two lovely kids and a peaceful space for me and my husband.
We are decidedly creative when it comes to designing a happy home which is simple and family friendly, a delightful fun zone where children and adults can play and work together...and we love those beautifully composed magical moments of everyday life. 


Simple serenity and calmness are synonymous to any Oriental space. Buddha from Vietnam with Orchids and tea light candles artistically brings out those dramatic effects .


For an Oriental Corner :
Balinese temple doll from Ubud, Bali  (Indonesia),
Thai gold plated Benjarong from Bangkok (Thailand),
 Contemporary Chinese art painting from Singapore .
 Flowers are essential to bring that welcoming sense of warmth and comfort. 



There is nothing 'fancy' about this home...a busy space with lots of scattered books, papers, paintings and toys (thanks to our little brats :))...and naturally not so picture perfect always. It is a child friendly- flexible home, practical and comfortable.
An informal nook designed by a slightly eccentric couple who loves travel , photography, books, music and gardening...to name just a few ;))


                                                   
Those lovingly collected treasures from our travel to different countries always find a special place in our home...be it an antique Japanese cha-pot (tea-pot) or a Balinese ' Barong  mask' .




I deliberately select happy colours and  patterns to keep my home cheerful and rejuvenate. Burnt red , orange, fuchsia, rust-gold, shades of olive green and a hint of turquoise completes the look.





My mantra is 'Make your home your own'. I love belongings which add character. We do not possess any extravagant  art or accessory but every single treasure in our nest has a story of its own.




Don't you like the beautiful effect of grouping several objects together which gives a special character to any space. They need not be match always...this eclectic mix-'n-match brings a sense of flexibility, which I try to incorporate in my home.

So, Bayon face and Khmer art from Angkor Wat, Cambodia  goes hand-in-hand with Chinese blue pottery.






Today On The Coffee-Table :

Antique  brass bowl from Dhaka, Bangladesh (a family heirloom),
A maroon and green Indian spice box from Mumbai, India,
Indonesian wooden couple masks..a quick purchase from Jakarta International Airport, Indonesia.










Home is about expression of individuality. A personal touch with interesting accessories, fabrics, art and books makes my home more of 'Me'.
An eclectic  space with its effortless relaxed approach.






Do you like Asian-eclectic living?  
What is your style mantra?
Do let me know...:)



All pictures are mine and subject to copyright. Please do not reuse them in any form without my written permission. Thanks.


All Rights Reserved 



Linking:

54 comments:

Meenakshi sundar said...

WOW@ Sangamitra..ur abode is truely Asian eclectic style.Ur eye for unique artifacats show your love for detail..I love this style!!I was lucky enuf to travel quite a few places except far east.Now u have given me some amazing ideas what to pick up in my far-east trip.Thanks!

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

@ Meenakshi Sundar~ Heartiest welcome to my blog:)
Thanks for your compliments and yes, I LOVE Asian eclectic style..hope it reflects on my humble nest :))
Good luck on your far-east trip..please, do not forget to share with us your amazing travel experience in this part of the world.
Do drop in a line or two to say a quick hallo :))

Have a lovely week ahead!

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

sorry hello :)

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

What an interesting collection. I don't think many of us have a picture perfect home. With 3 boys, I certainly don't!

Lisa Gordon said...

What a beautiful home you have. I love all of the wonderful color!
Sending you wishes for a wonderful day!

Unknown said...

Wow, your home is beautiful - I love the peace that style always influences on me. The music from those countries is the best!

Leovi said...

Wonderful pictures with such dazzling colors of the flowers, I love the sculptures, a full post and beautiful. Greetings.

Evelyn S. said...

Oh my! The color is amazing! I'm envious. And you've filled your house with so many wonderful things. It is absolutely beautiful!

tiarastantrums said...

your home is quite beautiful! I don't think I could have all those lovelies out with my little one!

Tina´s PicStory said...

thanks for stopping by! your pics are wonderful! great deco :)

Unknown said...

Foarte frumos. Mi-a plăcut tot ce am văzut.
Să ai o noapte liniştită.

Tanya Breese said...

you have very beautiful things! i think it's important to buy things that have meaning for you, such as from trips, etc...rather than to buy it just because it's the in thing to get. i've got eclectic taste but mine is more americana with whatever i like tossed in lol

Anonymous said...

You have a very lovely and colorful home. You also are an amazing photographer! Wishing you a wonderful day.

pembrokeshire lass said...

You visited me and now I'm returning the visit! What gorgeously rich colours. Just love them!! Joan

Nancy said...

You have a talent for mixing textures and color. What a beautiful home you have!

Thank you for sharing at Rural Thursdays this week!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Your surroundings really are beautiful and unique. I just saw the new film "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" shot in Jaipur. It casts a spell.

Kathe said...

Thank you for stopping by and inviting me to come visit. Your home and photos are breath-takingly beautiful!

Carletta said...

Your photos show a lovely home! I think a home should be filled with things we love and with what makes us happiest!

Thanks for your visit to my blog.

Deb @ indiapiedaterre said...

What a treat! You have a beautiful mix of Thai, Japanese, Indian pieces and more. I love the benjarong and Thai rice god/goddess! And YES, I love this style. Our home is also a mix of India + Southeast Asian style: pieces from India, Thailand, China, Japan, Burma, Laos, etc. These things do complement each other well. I enjoyed these photos -- gorgeous!!

we three dogs and me said...

picture perfect. Your home is gorgeous. I live a very simple comfortable life. I am very drawn to whimsical. We have so many patriotic holidays so tend to collect a lot of red white and blue.The coming weekend is memorial day and then in July 4th of July celebration Independence day. Have a happy day.

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

Wao dear, you are having such precious decoration pieces..Like it..
Enjoy ~

Anonymous said...

I am enchanted by the colors and textures of India and long to experience them myself. As for your house, who cares if it is magazine perfect? What is should be is you, and it appears that it is.

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Sangamitra, your images are beautiful. So colorful and bright, thanks for sharing.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Such beauty you share, Sangamitra! I love all the colors and textures in your photos.

Alycia Nichols said...

I do like and agree with your mantra of "Make your home your own." I have so many acquaintances whose homes look more like a museum to visit than a place to live. I like the idea of living in a house that FEELS good. Your photos, as usual, are beautiful, Sanghamitra. The mix of colors you use in your home are just gorgeous...very happy and free! I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Take care!!!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

So much color and beauty...such a lovely post. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week-end

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
Wow You have a very lovely and colorful home. You also have some amazing photographer! Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my Tablescape. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.
XXOO Diane

FABBY'S LIVING said...

WOW SHANGAMITRAH, you did make a fabulous post with such amazing images, each one is a work of art! You are an awesome photographer. Thank you for sharing. Thank you for your lovely visit, I so appreciate it!! Have a great weekend.
FABBY

Rosie Gan said...

Lucky you happened on my blog, and now I get to appreciate your lovely photography and your fabulous home.I'm certainly following this blog, Shangamitrah!
Rosie Gan

Kathleen said...

Lovely mix of colors. Thanks so much for your comment on Let's Dish!

The Farmers Daughter said...

Beautiful colors. Beautiful photos. I totally agree, "Make your home your own." And, you have a lovely one. . .

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for coming to the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop and for the sweet comment :)

sassiclaudio said...

So beautiful! love your blog! following! xoxo!
http://www.sassiclaudio.com

Unknown said...

So pretty! XO, Aimee

Unknown said...

AMAZING!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

http://estilohedonico.blogspot.pt/

xoxo

Donna said...

Beautiful home. I love all the warm happy colors you put into your decorating. Your photography is gorgeous.
Thanks for sharing.

binhtheredonethat said...

Wow you have such a lovely collection, and awesome colors. I especially love your Buddha corner with the orchid, seem very peaceful.

Unknown said...

oi querida, que decorações mais lindas! agradeço por me seguir e pelo comentario, já estou te seguindo tambem!

Unknown said...

Repaying the visit and following your blog, loved all very beautiful!
conxistasonline.blogspot.com

Filipa said...

amazing pics!!! love the details!!
XOXO

Vel Criste said...

gorgeous! you have a beautiful home! I would love to incorporate more Asian influences in our home, you have lots of great ideas that I hope to follow! Also, your photographs are amazing! your a true talent! See you around! :-)

Jenn Erickson said...

Such a beautiful home! I love all the plants and fresh flowers and your collection of Buddhas is truly exquisite!

Trisha said...

Gorgeous pics ...

I'm hosting a giveaway over at my blog and would love for you to stop by and participate.

http://www.myhobbielobbie.com/2012/05/my-200th-blog-post-and-my-1st-ever.html

Looking forward to seeing you there.

A room with a view said...

Your house is a home and reflects who you are and should have things that you enjoy. You have some very beautiful pieces from your travels. I do the same and I swap things around once in a while so I get to appreciate everything but not all at once. Great pictures!

Fifi Flowers said...

LOVE bright colour!

Fifi Flowers said...

LOVE bright colour!

Unknown said...

Hello beautiful! Such a lovely mix of colors, I love it!
xoxo
laylafonseca.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

This is really interesting…
puneonnet.com

Susanna Powers said...

Dear Sanghamitra, I enjoy seeing your beautiful bright photographs and style ideas. Just wanted to let you know that I gave you an award yesterday and my enthusiastic recommendation! best always, sp

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Thanks all! I am glad to read all your beautiful lines:)

@Sussah~ Thanks so much dear..it is so nice of you. Well, mine is a tag free-award free blog. Hope you will understand.

Seraphinas Phantasie said...

Wonderful photos with a special atmosphere. Beautiful !

Bliss said...

I don't know if I have a style mantra, but those orange flowers I keep seeing on your blog are beautiful!

~Bliss~

Debbie @DewdropGables said...

Beautiful!!! And nobody has a perfect home...especially when there are children. And why would you want to live in a museum? But your home is so gorgeous! You must be proud. :)

we three dogs and me said...

Oh my your pictures are fantastic. The colors are so vibrant. I always wonder why you visit my site as mine are all so just whimsical or cutsie. but so happy that you do as it means alot to me. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails